Now that you’re ready to start your vertical garden, you will need garden accessories to make the job easier and your garden more productive. Whether you’re growing food plants or just adding some greenery to your home, your plants will reward you for taking the best care of them you can. In some cases, this means ensuring they have the light, food, water, and even the right soil conditions to thrive.
Vertical gardening means making the most of every inch of space. Instead of spreading your cultivation out over a large amount of square footage in the yard, you’ll be using walls, fences, and even hanging your plants. Even those with plenty of garden space appreciate vertical gardening because it adds an extra dimension to the landscape. Along with providing beauty to your outdoor area, a vertical garden adds shade. And for fruits and vegetables, it can reduce the potential for damage from disease, bugs, and fungi.
Garden Accessories for Vertical Gardening
Utilizing vertical spaces in your garden means accommodating several different requirements. First of all, you’ll need to ensure that you can reach all your plants to care for them. Along with that, you’ll need to make sure that all your plants and their fruits are well supported. Here are few great garden accessories, in no particular order, that will help you do both with ease.
This adorable twine and scissors holder from American Chateau will keep your things tidy and portable as you secure vines, hangers, and nets in your garden. Instead of digging through your toolbox, carry this handy caddy from Esschert Design. Made of sturdy cast iron, it has an adorable little bird on top to keep your twine from getting lost.
- REUSABLE, HIGH-QUALITY, VERSATILE TRELLIS: Soft, yet heavy-duty, this netting helps plants cling to a smooth surface and...
- CUT TO ANY SIZE: This netting comes in one of two sizes: 5 x15 ft or 5 x 30 ft, making it easy to cut to the appropriate...
- SAVE SPACE: Expand upward! Direct your plants by weaving the netting around poles or bamboo sticks for a quick,...
Trellis netting is one of those garden accessories that lets you expand your vertical garden anywhere. Just when you think you’re out of space, netting in a simple frame or tacked to an outdoor wall will let you grow more vegetables by giving the vines more space to climb. This net is heavy-duty polyester to stand up to the elements. Choose one that measures 5 by 15 feet or the 5 by 30-foot model for plenty of room for cucumbers, eggplant, and zucchini to spread you. Grow hefty indeterminate tomatoes from the first melt to the first frost with full support.
- Melon Nets allow you to keep fruits far off the ground away from Hungry rodents and bugs
- Evenly cradles melons to allow grow uniform melon growth and ripening
- Nets allow for maximum airflow to keep melons dry which prevents disease
Growing large fruits and vegetables in a vertical garden can be intimidating. But these melon hammocks are the perfect garden accessories for cultivating heavy eggplants, cantaloupes, and even watermelons from a hanging frame. These hammocks will cradle your fruits and veggies and support them nicely without worrying if they’ll fall off before ripening. Another benefit is that they’ll keep them off the ground, protected from bugs, rodents, rot, and fungal disease.
You can buy packs of 10 or 25, so you’ll have plenty on hand for the season. Or purchase them directly from Bootstrap Farmer. Either way, expect to pay an affordable price, depending on how many you order.
- Works well for beans and plants with small enough stem that you can fit the stake in the 1" diameter hole .
- Commonly used to help support tomatoes,melons, cucumbers, peppers and Vine Garden Vegetables.
- Pressing down on the locking tab. These are so easy to clip and reopen.Best value on the market.
Your more delicate plants can become damaged if you don’t exercise care when attaching them to their supports. These clips take the guesswork out of caring for those heavy fruits. Attach the stems to your trellis or cages with these clips, which are sturdy enough to support them when laden with ripening fruits. The quick-release tabs make them easy to remove and re-position, too, so you can easily adjust them as your vines grow taller. They’re UV treated to stand up to the summer sun, also.
- IDEAL CHOICE-The GREEN MOUNT sprayer wand is ideal for watering bushes, gardens and shrubs. It does have a nice curve...
- NEW DESIGNED SHOWER HEAD-Especially 661 holes are perfect for delicate flowerbeds and seedbeds. The head is fully...
- EVERYTHING IN REACH-Hose wand allows you to water over, under, and around where traditional nozzles can’t reach.
One of the hassles involved in vertical gardening is reaching those planters placed up high and out of reach. The Greenmount watering wand gives you two extra feet of range for hanging baskets and top rows. This stainless steel watering head is durable and features a fine spray so you won’t damage your tender seedlings. The aluminum wand is light to prevent fatigue and rusting. The curved neck gives you the perfect angle for watering plants up high, too.
Some watering wands have a button or lever you need to hold down to keep the water coming. Others don’t give you any control at all. The Greenmount has a “hold-open” clip at the bottom of the wand so you have total control, placed conveniently in easy reach. You’ll find the Greenmount watering wand at Amazon and Pricefalls.
Garden Accessories for Plant Care
Whether your gardening in the soil, in containers, or along the wall, these garden accessories will help you take excellent care of your plants for the brightest blooms and the healthiest harvest.
- Self-emptying Rain Bucket-Empties Via Internal Tilting Cups
- Rainfall History Graph: View Last 7 Days, Weeks, or Months on Graph
- Monitor Indoor & Wireless Outdoor Temperature
When you’re trying to fit garden care into a packed schedule, it’s easy to lose track of outdoor conditions over time. Did it rain this week? How much? Will you need to water your vegetable plants? Should you water them before you head for work? The La Crosse weather station takes care of tracking the weather for you. You’ll get a self-emptying rain bucket that measures rainfall and delivers the data to the control panel. The outdoor sensor records time and temperature so you’ll be better prepared to start seedlings in spring or bring heat-sensitive tomatoes into the shade.
The indoor display provides a history of rainfall for hours, days, the last month, even the year. It will also alert you to precipitation so you can better plan your day around watering your garden if necessary. You can position the bucket and sensor up to 300 feet from the indoor display station for wireless data collection.
You can purchase this wireless rain gauge at Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart, Northern Tool, Scientific Sales, or directly from the manufacturer's website.
- This kit has everything you need to get started with drip irrigation and stop watering your plants by hand
- Three simple steps to install This kit. Completely customizable kit to water your potted plants, hanging baskets
- Comprehensive kit included
Even with the best extension wand, you may not have time to water your vertical garden as often as you need to. And let's face it, sometimes you may just be too tired for all that reaching. This product is an automatic drip irrigation system that is affordable and easy to use. Just hook it up to the outdoor faucet and run the 75 feet of irrigation tubing through your garden. The kit comes with everything you need for up to 20 watering stations. You can extend the system if you need more, too.
Drip irrigation systems save you more than just time and shoulder aches. They also save you money and reduce water use. Most water waste in the garden comes from evaporation or container drainage. Drip irrigation uses much less water, so its better for the environment as well as your pocketbook. You’ll find this Raindrip kit online from Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, and Sears, as well as Amazon.
- Kindly NOTE: This soil tester can not be applied to test pH value of any other liquid. If the soil is too dry the...
- 3-IN-1 FUNCTION: Test soil moisture, pH value and sunlight level of plant with our soil meter, helps you specialize in...
- ACCURATE & RELIABLE: Double-needle Detection Technology strongly enhances the speed and accuracy of detecting and...
Along with ensuring your plants have enough water, you should ensure they get enough sunlight as well. This handy meter from Sonkir will help you check your vertical garden to ensure your plants are getting enough light for their needs. The varying ranges of sunlight exposure throughout the day and the year have a strong impact on how well your garden grows. Too much light can stress shade-loving plants like leafy greens. Too little, and your vegetables won’t flower, which means a meager harvest.
Along with checking for light and moisture, the Sonkir meter also tests soil pH. If you’ve ever searched for gardening help online, you’ve probably seen how many times gardeners recommend testing pH for poorly growing plants. Some vegetables need acid soil that tests between 5.5 and 6.5 pH. You can easily adjust your fertilizer to increase acidity, but the trick is knowing when you should. Let this little meter guide you.
- Removes Chlorine, Chloramines, VOCs, and Pesticides/Herbicides
- Attaches onto any standard garden hose, up to 10,000 Gallons
- No KDF that has antibacterial properties and copper. ONLY Powerful Catalytic Carbon.
Many gardeners live in areas where the public water supply contains choline or chloramines. Although it may help sterilize the drinking water, it can play havoc with your plants. Many gardeners collect rain in barrels for gardening to avoid these contaminants. If you don’t have space for barrels or much rainfall, you may want to improve the water you give your plants with this inline water filter from Clean Water Fun. When attached to your garden hose, it removes up to 97 percent of chlorine and chloramines. The filter uses catalytic carbon and provides up to 10,000 of filtered water. This creates cleaner, safer water for your plants, as well as your pets, livestock, and fish pond.
Choose Garden Accessories That Add Value
If you’re a new gardener, you’ll find yourself tempted by a wide range of trinkets and garden accessories that can easily distract you from your main goal. So, keep your plant’s needs in mind when shopping. Gardening can be an expensive endeavor. Whether you’re a hobbyist or a dedicated homesteader, you can nearly always find a less expensive and even more efficient way to do things.
However, some garden accessories can save you time and labor, which is also worth money. Busy people can find many labor-saving devices to ensure their gardens survive those times when they end up at the bottom of the priority list. A vertical garden can require a surprisingly large investment. However, ensuring your plants receive the water, soil conditions, light exposure, and sturdy support will ensure that your investment pays off with a bountiful harvest.